GB Infill Maps
* Over 2000 surnames have been produced by RootsMap as British Infill Maps, covering England, Scotland & Wales.
* These maps show the distribution of a surname, by place of birth across the Great Britain (GB), based on the 1881 Census.
* By using the date of birth of the oldest people registered in the Census, and mapping their place of birth, the concentrations of where people came from can be shown.
* This can be more useful in finding where a name comes from than using the place of census, as by 1881 people had often moved to different parts of the country for work, following the Industrial Revolution.
* Place of birth is more useful to determine areas with a high concentration of a particular surname before mass movement to industrial areas.
* An example of a GB Infill Map can be seen on the Home page.
* Each map is individually researched and produced.
* GB Infill Maps cost £5.00 to download direct to your PC, in pdf format, ready for you to print or save for use in your website or other publication. (But we would be grateful if you could acknowledge RootsMap - see terms and conditions.)
* New names also cost £5.00 to download, but you will need to order it first.
* Go to the Surname Search page to see if your name is available already.
* If not, request it Request here - we will notify you when it is ready for download.
* If you prefer, your map can be printed by RootsMap and posted to you for a small additional cost to cover postage and packaging.